Saturday 29 September 2012

Spicy Tuna Sashimi


If you know me, you'd know that I love sushi and sashimi, but that wasn't always the case. The first time I tasted sushi was when I was seven years old. Me and my family were in New Jersey, USA at my tita's (auntie's) house and she had made these little black rolls, that when cut open, were filled with rice, raw fish and vegetables.


 

I was curious and so I tried one, but the taste of the nori and mix of vinegar-ed rice was very strange; plus if you consider the fact that I had jet lag, it wasn't a very good first experience.

But a lot has changed since then, I don't really remember when I started to eat sushi again with gusto, but I haven't stopped since then.

Here's a recipe of my version for spicy tuna sashimi

You will need the following ingredients: 

 
Tuna sashimi 400g


Half a lemon 

 
Soy sauce 4 tbsp 

 
A few spring onions 

 
Sesame oil 4 tbsp 

 
Chili oil 1 tbsp (or according to your preference)


Lettuce leaves for lettuce bowl

"Cooking" Instructions:

1.) Wash and pat dry the thoroughly defrosted tuna and cut into small cubes
2.) In a bowl mix the sesame oil and chili oil and mix the lemon juice and soy sauce in another bowl
3.) Wash and slice the spring onions and arrange a washed lettuce leaf in the serving bowl
4.) First put the tuna in the bowl with the oil and mix, coating the tuna completely
5.) Pour the soy sauce and lemon juice mixture into the tuna bowl and mix through
6.) Place the tuna into the lettuce bowl and garnish with the spring onion and a lemon slice
7.) EAT! =) 





 
Viola! Spicy Tuna Sashimi =)







  
After I took this picture I added cucumber on the side




                                                
Notes:

  • I recommend that if you bought your fish fresh, to wash with running cold water, pat the fish dry and the store in a zip lock bag and put it in the Freezer at -20 degrees C for 24 hrs before use. This is the European Union recommendation to kill off all parasites before consumption, is a a must practise for safely eating sashimi and sushi. 
  • The reason why I put the oil first, is to prevent the fish from oxidising and so that the lemon juice won't cook the fish like cerviche.





Happy eating! <3





No comments:

Post a Comment